Cooling Centers Available in Heat Wave, Thursday through Sunday
With the heat index expected to reach 100 degrees or more in the next few days, those without air conditioning may want to head to cooling centers which some towns have announced, or other public spaces such as public libraries and senior centers. The heat advisory is in effect from 11:00 a.m. on Thursday, August 4, 2022 to 8:00 p.m. on Friday, August 5, 2022.
The Town of Needham and YMCA have announced three cooling centers will be available from this Thursday through the weekend. They are:
- Needham Free Public Library, 1139 Highland Avenue: Thursday from 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.; Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.; and Saturday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Rosemary Recreation Complex (no pool), 178 Rosemary Street: Thursday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.; and Friday from 8:00 a.m. to noon.
- Charles River YMCA, 380 Chestnut Street: Thursday and Friday from 6:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.; Saturday from 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.; and Sunday from 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
The Town of Medfield has announced the availability of two cooling centers:
- CENTER at Medfield, 1 Icehouse Road: Monday through Thursday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Friday 10 a.m. to 1 pm.
- Medfield Library, 468 Main Street: Monday through Friday from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Precautions for outdoor activities include rescheduling strenuous activities to early morning or evening, wearing lightweight and loose clothing and scheduling frequent rest breaks in the shade or somewhere air conditioned.